6/10/2013

i'm doin' it for me!

Posted by Unknown |

In life, we can expect only the unexpected. It's depressing. It's exciting. And it's why I am so fond of the theatre. Theatre embraces the unexpected. You never know when a prop will be forgotten, a mic won't work, or an audience member will fall through a window and land on the marquis of the theatre. Every time that first word is spoken or that first downbeat of the overture is given, the dice has been rolled. And I find that as soon as that first applause moment or burst of laughter hits, actors like to get all Judge Judy on the audience. "Ugh, what a terrible crowd." "They don't know what funny is." "If they'd stop texting, maybe they could enjoy a little ART!" "This is a SOCIETY, there are RULES!" I'll be honest, these words are no stranger to my vocal folds. I love a good audience hate-fest just like any other thespian, sure - BUT, I have recently decided that from now on, when I walk onto a stage or into an audition room, it isn't gonna be about them - it's gonna be about me.

If someone says, "Wow they LOVED you tonight!" I'll respond with a casual agressiveness, "Yeah? Well, I wasn't doin' it for them, was I? I was doin' it for me!" Because life is too short to constantly and obsessively stress over whether or not other people like you. It is hard enough in this life to convince yourself to like yourself. Am I right? Can I get an amen? And I have found in the past that I will bend over backwards to make myself into exactly what other people want or need me to be. And I'm done with all that, ya see?! It's exhausting. So from now on, I'm doin' it for me. Selfish? Perhaps. But is not our primary goal in life to seek some form of happiness? And I find absolutely no joy in trying to decipher what other people think of me. Despite a few striking personality similarities, I am no Long Island medium. Hey nah-nah, what's my name? I'm Nathan Chang. And I'm bein' me. And I hope and pray that myself will be enough. That's all I can do.

Miley was just bein' Miley. Outkast was just bein' honest. And I'm just bein' me. And I'm starting today. Because why wait for the perfect moment to start something amazing, huh? I'd rather live moment to moment instead of sitting around waiting for the perfect moment. Especially since the unexpected is all we can hope to expect. Stay comfy y'all!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I COMPLETELY agree that we can only expect the unexpected. That's why I work in I.T. Computers embrace the unexpected. You never know when a device driver will be dropped, a URL will lead nowhere and solid WiFi connection will go Pfffft!!!

Take this evening. I followed a message board link to this place expecting to find a thinly- disguised ad for Ogunguit Playhouse, and instead discover your sandbox blog... and white witches... and boojies...and a very creative way to earn a microwave (ok, rather idiotic too)...and so much more!

I can now see the day when I will line up for your first book-signing, because you so deserve to be published! Looking forward to enjoying more of your blogs in the future!

(At the same time also dreading the book-signing moment when you might ask me which of your words I remember the most. I'd either have to lie or duck while admitting that they're the "They've got corn. They've got meat. They've got fruit and drinks" earworm! Peace.)

Post a Comment

Subscribe